The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Haddy ends her winter dormancy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty
PostSubject: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/5/2013, 11:14 am

My Desert Hairy finally reemerged this morning from her winter dormancy. This is the first that I've seen of her in 6 months. She did exactly the same thing last year. Time to offer her a small bowl of water and some crickets.

Desert Hairy after 6 months of diapause:
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/5/2013, 11:43 am

Beautiful specimen. Chubby girl.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/5/2013, 1:20 pm

I expected her to be slimmer after going 6 months without eating, but she was pretty plump back in December.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/5/2013, 9:32 pm

Looks great!!! Good to hear she's doing good!
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/15/2013, 3:07 am

Do some scorpions need a winter dormancy? I heard it helps them live longer, which is a major plus for me.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/15/2013, 1:01 pm

Some species, like H. arizonensis, are known to go dormant during the winter but I don't know if it actually extends their life.  Some keepers see this behavior in their scorpions and others do not.  The trigger is not well understood but it's thought to be influenced by environmental conditions, including temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and photoperiod.  It's also suspected that a biological component may be involved.

The first winter I had my Haddy she blocked off her burrow entrances in December and I didn't see her for a week, then a month, then two months.  I would occasionally remove the cover I have on the side of her enclosure and peek in her burrow.  She would move slightly so I knew she was still alive.

I didn't change any of the conditions in her enclosure to induce this behavior.  I was a bit surprised by it but not alarmed.  I assumed she knew what she was doing so I turned off the heat lamp and left her undisturbed.  I figured that she would come out when she was ready.  In May, I started heating her enclosure once again and she finally emerged the first week of June.   When she did the same thing this December, it was pretty much expected.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/15/2013, 3:32 pm

You had the lamp off all winter? You live in the same area as me, so I wonder if mine will do this too.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/16/2013, 11:48 am

Yes, I provided no heat to her enclosure all winter and the room I have her in would drop to 65F at night.  This is much warmer than what she would experience in the wild, however.  During the winter, the Sonoran Desert drops into the 40's at night.
Back to top Go down
rusheed_87
Hadogenes
rusheed_87

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty6/17/2013, 11:17 am

beautiful cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Haddy ends her winter dormancy   Haddy ends her winter dormancy Empty

Back to top Go down

Haddy ends her winter dormancy
Page 1 of 1