The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty
PostSubject: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/9/2013, 5:28 pm

If you’re like me and can’t afford to buy a fancy camera for your scorpion pictures here’s an easy way to turn your regular pocket camera into…well a slightly better camera. You probably won’t get the same kind of quality you would get from a $1,000 camera with a real macro lens but it’s definitely an upgrade.
You will need:
1. Camera with extending lens(most cameras have an extending lens, if yours doesn’t….stop being cheap get yourself a $25 camera)
2. Xacto knife
3. Various bottle caps, for my camera I used a pill bottle cap. Depending on the size of you barrel. You will probably need something smaller like a soda bottle cap, or for bigger like a large pill bottle lid.
4. A lense….any type of magnifying lens, could be a magnifying glass or binocular lense, or microscope lense.
Just to let you guys know this is not my invention I got the instruction from this site but I’m regurgitating it here for you guys as well as an example done my friend Logan Pierce (MiPHISTo). ALL PICTURES ARE PROEPERY OF LOGAN PIERCE AND USED WITH HIS PERMISSION. You can check out the how do this here along with pictures. I’ll post the insturction on here too but if you’re a visual learner you should check out this link.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Macro-Atachment-for-pocket-digital-camera/

Procedure:
1.Once you’ve gathered your materials and find a cap that almost fits. A slightly larger cap would work best you can always add some material in between the barrel and the makeshift lens.
2.Using the xacto knife shave out the inside of the bottle cap you’re going to be using so that there is some friction between cap and the camera barrel, just enough for it stick but not tight enough that it’ll disrupt the lense.
3. Once you have the cap fitted for the Camera barrel, you’ll want to cut out a hole for the lense. The quality of the pictures is depended on the quality of the lense. In the examples listed below Logan used the a $10 binoculars he got from a pawn shop.
4. Add the lense to the newly cut hole on the cap, if the hole is to big some hot glue (glue gun) can help you fill in the extra space if there is any.

This is the Miphisto’s Camera + Lens.
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera DSCN2824_zpsac2c547b
Lens on Camera.
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera DSCN2827_zps7565cf25
Lens on top of camera lens.
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera DSCN2829_zps4098624a
Orthochirus spp. Pectines easily able to count them with the new lense
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera 601022_537383672972309_1268697964_n

And probably one of the smallest pectines Chaerilus celebensis: (I’m not entire sure how accurate sexing is for this species but its FOUR for female and FIVE for male…amazing they have so few pectines but they are tiny)
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera 264592_537473482963328_1526272625_n

Last edited by ~Abyss~ on 5/10/2013, 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/9/2013, 6:03 pm

If only my parents would approve of this...
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/9/2013, 8:31 pm

ShredderEmp wrote:
If only my parents would approve of this...

lol..

oh great tip.. good thing i have an extra camera for this experimental purpose Very Happy
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/9/2013, 11:54 pm

you guys realize nothing is done to the actual camera.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
MiPHISTo
SCORPIONMOD
MiPHISTo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/10/2013, 1:26 am

The two small things attached to the lens are medicine bottle caps. I pushed out the plastic inserts and they fit perfectly around the camera lens base, not to mention that the binocular lens fit so perfectly into one of the lids that it snaps into the ends of them and stays perfectly snug. The lens I used for the Macro Lens was from a set of Bushnell Binoculars purchased from a local Pawn shop for 10$. Camera is a Canon Powershot A480, used on Super Macro mode at max magnification.
Back to top Go down
MiPHISTo
SCORPIONMOD
MiPHISTo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty5/15/2013, 9:06 pm

I also meant to add (Double post since no one else has added) that there are plenty of other alternatives. I recently bought a Dino-Lite AM2011 specifically for the purpose of sexing and documenting specific characteristics of each species I own.

Bothriurus keyserlingi:
Male [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera 970094_540387879338555_1790767268_n

Female [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera 547079_540387839338559_2046768629_n

Pseudouroctonus reddelli:
[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera 969278_539943169383026_1123578479_n

The Dino-Lite AM2011 is a Microscope in case you haven't figured out from above. With an Articulating Black/White Stand it was 113$, without the stand it is 99$.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera   [HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera Empty

Back to top Go down

[HOW TO]Make a Makeshift Macro Lens for your Pocket Camera
Page 1 of 1